The inside skinny on the Bad Taste Bears

Tuesday 15 July 2008

Pimp that bear part 2

Right so where I left off yesterday, I was just going to paint the thing.
If you've ever been in the Painting tent at any of our events you'll know me as the one who knows how to mix brown, but to tell the truth that's all I do know when it comes to painting.(they don't let me paint bears here at work) but, hey, how hard can it be?

The paints we use here we get from games workshop. Every colour has an interesting name like blood red, or scab red, or skull white.
I've gone for rotting flesh green because it's a Zombie isn't it.
You do pick a couple of things up from sitting next to Gav (Gav paints all the original, originals). Always mix a bit of water in with the paint. I think that this is to stop the fur getting filled up with paint.
Don't try to paint it all in one coat. You may need to let it dry and go over it again.

And a nice little trick is the 'wash'. Which is where you mix up a really watery colour so that it only rests in the details. This was painted with Rotting flesh green with a wash of chaos black over the top, once it dried.

Oo, look I scratched a crack in the skull and the wash has filled it nicely.
Nearly there with it. That Parrot looks a bit healthy though...

That's better

Bit of blood too. On his shirt and leaking out of the open eye sockets.
Humm nice.

There we have it. A one off original. A unique. Dead Jack. Only one in existence

I've done all this at work. So I guess it belongs to Bad Taste Bears. Maybe we'll put it up for auction, or use it as a prize one day. Who knows...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's tops mate! lol
Plus you made it look easy which is good if some of the collectors have a broken Lucky Jack lying on the floor broken....eerm?!
How about a little feature on some of the stuff you make for the bears and how it goes into the finished bears we've grown to love?

Cyberpig said...

Zombie bear range - I want I want I want - sooooooooo much

Anonymous said...

That's it, I've decided to have a dig around the large box of broken bears (Thanks Tim) and zombiefy one myself!

Anonymous said...

That's it I'm going to have a go to - got a few Lucky Jacks kicking around (in the hunt for a Gold One) thanks for the inspiration !!
I hope you keep showing the odd modded bears in the future ?